Sunday, May 30, 2010

Going back in time (Rewind 3 years to summer 2007)




















In the summer of 2007, I visited Ghana. It had been 10 and half years since I left. The last school I attended before leaving was Nana Kwaku Boateng Junior High School. It was the top public school and a magnet, very hardworking students and dedicated teachers. I left while still the school prefect.

When I returned, I decided to visit the school and teach some lessons in Math. At the end of one lesson, I realized some students were done with nothing left to do. I thought to myself, "what did I use to do when I completed my work?" I would borrow books from my friends and I read a lot. I borrowed so often and read so much that my old friends would get upset and exclaimed they weren't a library. So, I asked them if they had a library to which they replied no. I then had the idea to send them books and start a library. Needless to say, they were very excited as were the teachers.

P.S. Gifty was then a science teacher at the school. Little did I know 3 years later, she and I would be the VIP's of a beautiful Gold and blue themed wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment